Governor Warner Museum and Gardens

Governor Warner Museum and Gardens 
                    /></p>
					
					<p class=

33805 Grand River Ave
W of Farmington Rd
Farmington MI 48335-3431 USA
(248) 474-5500 #2225

[museum website]

geo: 42.466663,-83.3815
[street map / directions]
[interactive street view]
[bird's eye view]

 
The Governor Warner Museum is a Victorian Italianate structure built in 1867 by P. D. Warner, the Governor’s father, and is furnished in late Victorian style.

Text of Historic Marker:

''Governor Fred M. Warner''

''This large white Civil War era house in the center of Farmington's historic district has been the residence of the Warner family for many decades. Here lived Fred M. Warner, governor of Michigan from 1905 to 1911. Born in England in 1865, Warner spent most of his life in this city and served as its state senator from 1895 to 1898. An agriculturist and businessman, he established in 1889 the first of his thirteen cheese factories. From 1901 to 1904 Warner was Secretary of State. Then he was elected to the first of three terms as state chief executive. This Republican governor championed many Progressive era programs including regulation of railroads and insurance, conservation, food inspection, child labor laws, direct primary elections, and woman's suffrage. Warner died in 1923, leaving a legacy of reform-minded years.''